Sharon Loy Anderson is an artist located in Blanco, TX. She was a commercial and newspaper artist in Houston. Later she became an illustrator and exhibits designer at the Houston Zoological Gardens. She taught art at a private college preparatory school, The Kinkaid School, until she retired in 2011. She also taught classes on How To Illustrate Children’s Books at the University of Houston. She completed a four year scholarship at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, attended the Lowell Collins School of Art, then received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Art Education from the University of Houston.
Sharon works in acrylics, colored pencil, plaster, paint pen, collage, ceramics, and watercolors. Art is a diary of her life. Each piece is a thought, a memory, or an experience through which media expresses the stories in colorful paint. Her work is signed with her middle name LOY.
Exhibits, Illustrations, Publications, and Memberships include:
- The Houston Zoological Gardens – diorama designer and animal illustrator
- The Houston Arboretum – gallery exhibit
- The Peaceable Kingdom School Catalogue, TX – Illustrated and designed catalogue
- Seasonal Field Guide, Winedale Museum, TX – Illustrated plants for the guide
- She illustrated the children’s book, The Canary who Sailed with Columbus, written by Susan Wiggs.
- National Veterans’ Art Museum in Chicago, TX. She is the first civilian and second woman to have permanent work at the National Veterans’ Art Museum
- Shumla Archaeological Research & Education Center in Comstock, TX – art exhibits
- University of Texas, recorded pictographs for the University of Texas with grid illustrations
- The Kinkaid School in Houston, TX – faculty and art exhibits
- Imagine Lavender Farms in Blanco, TX -art exhibit and demonstration
- Solstice Gardens in Dripping Springs, TX – gallery exhibit 2017-2019 on going
- Art on 12 Gallery and Studios in Wimberley, TX – gallery exhibit
- Memberships: Art League of Houston, Society of Children’s Book Illustrator’s and Writers, Wimberley Valley Art League, and the Artists Alliance of the Hill Country (AAHC).
- Honorable Mention, Wimberley Valley Art League 2017
- A Propos Pop Up Gallery, aproposgallery.com, Wimberley, Gallery Exhibits 2017-19 on going, email@example.com.
- Wimberley Studio Tour, Wimberley, Texas, 2018, 2019, art exhibit
- Redbud Cafe, Blanco, TX, Three month art exhibit 2019
- Olde Blanco Emporium & Market Place, Blanco, TX, 2019 on going art exhibit
- The work listed below was accepted into the 2019 Nosotros Exhibition at the Georgetown Art Center: Aloe – aculeata, San Pedro Cacti and Jackrabbit, Century Plants in Bloom. The exhibit, which runs from May 31 to July 7, 2019, at the Georgetown Art Center, opens on Friday, May 31, and the artist reception is scheduled for Saturday, June 1, from 6:00PM to 8:00PM. Complimentary beverages and snacks are provided. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd awards will be announced at this reception.
- Live On The Horizon art exhibit. Artist at #WestXWest, 30+ Artists, Saturday, May 11, 2019 (the Day Before Mother’s Day) Noon-5pm with #CASXATX and the #DripppingSpringsSongwritersFestival folks at #Headwaters “Live on the Horizon” Arts and Music Festival Sponsored by #DestinationDrippingSprings 🌅